Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Reading email

When I read new email, I open my Inbox, with the new, unread email sorted to the top of the list.  I then open the oldest unread message, read it, and then either keep or delete it before moving on to the next unread message.  That way, I read the oldest emails before the newest ones, and I'm up on discussions in threads.  One of my pet peeves is when someone replies to the most recent email in a thread and asks questions that have already been answered further down in the thread, indicating they haven't read any of the older messages.

When you delete the message you're currently reading, it's annoying to have to go back to the Inbox each time and open the next unread message.  The default mail client in Windows Mobile has a setting that allows you to choose what happens when you delete the message you're currently reading - you can either open the previous (older) message, the next (newer) message, or go back to the Inbox.  I always set this to open the next newer message, and that saves a lot of time processing my mail.

Neither of the two mail apps bundled with the Incredible do this.  Google's Gmail app automatically returns you to the Inbox, so you have to manually open the next message to read it, but at least the Delete button is prominently displayed in the message view.  HTC's Mail app automatically goes to the previous older message in the list, which is the exact opposite direction I want to read, and it's two taps to delete a message.

There are many nice features about both apps, but for this particular behavior, WinMo is the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment